Michelle A. Hansen Biography
The official, boring Biography:
Michelle Hansen was raised on a farm on the outskirts of Pasco, Washington. After her graduation from Pasco High School, she attended Washington State University in Pullman, Washington, then transferred to Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. She graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in English Teaching from BYU in 1997 and taught high school English for six years. She is currently working toward an MFA in Creative Writing from the Northwest Institute of Literary Arts.
Fun facts about Michelle:
- I love summer more than any other time of year.
- My favorite month is May. It’s such a cheerful month. How can you not love May if you’ve seen the musical version of Camelot? (It’s May; it’s May, the lusty month of May…)
- My favorite movies are romances—Sabrina (the Julia Ormond-Harrison Ford version) and A&E’s Pride & Prejudice. Gweneth Paltrow’s Emma is right up there because I love Jeremy Northam as Mr. Knightly.
- I used to have most of Romeo & Juliet and Hamlet memorized (because I taught them five times in a day). You hear the text a lot, and it just sticks.
- I love all crafts.
- I make soap.
- I have written over 1500 pages of unpublished fiction.
- When I started writing, my biggest fear was that I would finish the first novel and never have another idea. The opposite has happened. I have too many stories in my head and no time to write them.
- My favorite shirt is orange.
- I love cheesecake and cinnamon rolls.
- I like Pepsi more than chocolate.
- I like Doritos more than chocolate, too.
- Gingersnaps are my favorite cookies, with chocolate chip running second.
- I let my kids eat raw cookie dough.
- I tend not to reread books unless I’m teaching them. I think this is because there are so many books out there that I feel like I should keep plowing through them.
- No matter how many books I’ve read, I feel like I’ve never read enough to be “well-read.”
- I love horses.
- I prefer cats to dogs, although cats make me sneeze.
- I hate all floral scented products. I am a citrus and spice kind of girl.
- I love driving an SUV.
- My favorite shoes are leather Mary Janes.
- I’m not choosy about music and basically listen to whatever my husband buys.
- I loved cheerleading more than any other sport or activity I’ve encountered since.
- I coached cheerleaders for three years and loved that, too.
- I still love Pasco purple.
I wear mostly earth tones.I discovered Dressing Your Truth, and I’m a Type 1.
- If I could live anywhere, I’d live on 1000 acres somewhere with a long growing season.
- I have lived in four different states since I got married.
I have never traveled east of Montana and Wyoming. I visited Washington D.C., stopped over in Minnesota, and my hotel was in Virginia– three states in one trip 😉
- Canada is the only “foreign” country I’ve ever visited.
I’ve never had a passport.I got a passport, just in case.
- I love office supplies, and I have an irrationally large stash of pens, tablets and journals.
- I cannot live without a planner.
- I talk too much.
- I could easily become a hermit. I would write and do crafts all day long and never get bored.
- I have only one blood sibling—my sister, and we’re married to brothers.
- I wish I was fluent in another language.
- I would love to be a college professor.
- I’ve been to Disneyland twice.
- I’ve had three near-death experiences.
- I was held hostage in my classroom by a teen gunman, so I’ve been officially “kidnapped.”
- I’m very calm and level-headed in crisis situations.
- I hate going barefoot.
- I don’t like flip flops. (I only wear them to the pool.)
- I’m allergic to red food coloring. It won’t kill me; it just gives me one mother of a headache.
- Before I had kids I was a morning person, but now I stay up late just so I can enjoy the quiet.
- I talk to myself. A lot. I always have.
- I’m an audio learner, which means if I hear the lecture I can remember the content better than if I read the textbook.
- I don’t like to exercise.
- Emerald green is my favorite color.