I am totally sealing Kelly’s “Monday Mishmash” theme today, because after reading her post I realized I, too, have random things going on, and none of them seem to create a full post alone.
1. Today’s writing roadblock:
The raspberries came on hot and heavy. My husband did such an awesome job thinning, pruning and fertilizing them. There are HOARDS of raspberries out there, and they all decided to be ripen. Today. I took all four kids out and picked for an hour. We got three pans and didn’t cover half the patch. The laptop waits patiently, and the birdies are devouring my beautiful berries. After making jam, I hope to finish a scene.
2. Today I read Sara Nego’s blog post on writing a bad first draft.
I so very much needed to read this post. I have been getting whipped by the WIP. It’s not that I don’t know what to write. I know exactly where the story is going and how it’s going to get there. It’s just that there is this nagging voice in the back of my mind that keeps saying, “It’s the sophomore book that makes or breaks an author. The second book has to be better.” It is stifling my creativity because I don’t know if I can make this book better than Painted Blind. It isn’t now, and I’m second guessing myself at every turn. I really need to relax and just write. Write badly. Write it all, then worry about making it good. Shannon Hale said in a tweet recently, “I’m shovelling sand into the box so I can build castles later.” That is such a good philosophy for first drafts. Just keep shovelling sand!
3. This website gives me grief.
It is an author’s website. True. However, I don’t want to post about writing everyday. I wrote privately for a decade and was rejected continually. I did it alone. I didn’t blog about process or post in forums. A few years ago, I got tired of reading about writing and publishing, and I didn’t renew my subscription to Writer’s Digest. I do appreciate writing communities, and I appreciate venting a few writerly frustrations, I just can’t do it all the time. And, writing about writing keeps me from actually writing. I’m not sure that will win me many followers, but hey, that’s my name in the address bar. I am what I am. Take it or leave it.
4. I am doing a great deal of driving lately. It’s one of the hazards of living in the boonies. This week’s driving detail is thanks to swimming lessons. I drag my notebook around with me and I try to finish a scene here or there while the girls are in the pool, but I don’t get very far. It’s okay. They love swimming. I want them to swim well. It’s one less thing to worry about as a mom. I love it when scout leaders ask me if my boys can swim. Why, yes. They swim very well. I still remember watching my oldest when he was seven swim the butterfly the length of the pool. Seven years old. I was so impressed. Today was overcast. Several of the kids didn’t show up for lessons, so each of my girls had a private lesson.
5. The WIP is just shy of 40,000 right now. I promised my friend a complete draft “by June.” I meant the beginning of June, and I’m disappointed that I’m probably not going to make it by the end of June either. TIme to shovel some more sand.